Monday, March 19, 2012

kid's perceptions

Vinny said to me: "Dom has been getting really mad at G lately (tonight specifically) over little things that he should just let go. (little sisters can be really annoying though in my opinion) So, can you talk to him about it?"

Me: Yes, but little siblings can be annoying at times, and if you could have seen me and my brothers...well, our kids operate on angel status if you would compare. Also, big brothers kinda get the privilege of getting irritated once in a while, especially when you have a big brother like Dom who mostly ALWAYS includes her with his friends, lets her sleep in the same room when he has sleepovers, plays WITH her daily (even plays her princess board games), and invites her to play with his him and his friends-and not for target practice either!

I trudge upstairs to talk with Dom-even though my heart is not into it.

Me to Dom: Hey buddy, I hear you have been getting really mad at G lately and haven't been very nice to her. I understand she can be annoying and bug you at times, but we still need to treat our family in a kind way. You know, my brothers used to really bug me A LOT when we were little- listen to my conversations on the phone, be in my space in the car, in the house...always around when I didn't want them to be!!! They would say things that they knew would bother me. BUT (here is where I embellished the truth) I had to make the choice to treat them kindly when they were not being nice. I had to CHOOSE to ignore them and give the positive attention...because that is all they wanted-my attention.

Dom: WHAT? your BIG brothers are really your little brothers? I didn't know that. They are way bigger than you. I thought they were older than you.

after that was cleared up...I am shorter, but  older, I went to G's room to tuck her in...

G: I want to know everything you told Dom, like your brothers are little? What? I thought Uncle Jared was older.

Me: They are bigger than me now, but I am older than them-always have been, always will be, and they had to learn (embellishment here) to not bother me and give me space-just like you need to give Dominic space sometimes and CHOOSE not to bug him. My  brothers had to try really hard to not bother me and I learned to be really nice to them:)

G: Oh, ok. I will try. BUT I thought your brothers were older, but really they are bigger but younger right mom?

Me: Yes! you got it!

So....funny conversations at night that take on a life of their own.

No comments: