Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our Big Kindergartener!


This day came all too quickly, and although I had heard that from many people prior to this moment, it still affected my whole being hugely. Dominic started kindergarten this week and he LOVES it! I am so relieved that he can't wait to get back each day, and I have also been reminiscing about the past 5 years leading up to this point.

He was so excited, so expectant, so READY...and as he walked into to his classroom I saw all of my hopes and wishes for him floating above his shoulders...as the saying goes-"the decision to have a child, it momentous-it is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." This saying has never hit me harder than on this day. And yes I know- he will have disappointments, he will have failures...I know they are important to his growth, but still, knowing that does not make it less painful for me...the mother.

His sister yearned for him all morning long. She and I shed some tears together, in the car, after we dropped him off. "I so sad wit Dom for going to school all the days." These two are such great buddies and have such fun palying with one another.

The family walking Dom to his class...I had Vinny check on him a few times throughout the morning. Daddy's report: Dominic was the only boy raising his hand to answer questions. He gave Vinny the thumbs up and showed his picture he was drawing when Vinny walked into the room. He was happy! Just what I needed to hear!
Dom's Report at the end of the day: Recess was his favorite part. When asked about his second favorite part, it was drawing a very detailed picture (he told me all about it). They read a funny story about kindergarten. He did not get in a time-out! (for some reason this was very important to him to report! It never crossed my mind!) He got to be at the beginning of the line as they walked out of class for the day (he liked that!).
Mom's highlight: As Dom rounded the corner after school he saw me waiting, burst into a sprint with open arms and a HUGE smile...then basically tackled me with love! I could not have asked for a better greeting! Then he asked when he gets to go back to school!

Ice Cream Social the night before school begins...how color-coordinated of us!

Dom with this AMAZING teacher! She is a miracle worker! He loves her!

Completing a scavenger hunt for the places in his classroom

Dom's new school home...no longer just "Daddy's school," it is now Dom's school too!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

OMG too precious. I think I was shedding some tears just reading your blog!