- On the first day of school when Dom's teacher asked the class to give suggestions for a scenario he was the only one to raise his hand, and this is what he said: "Well, I could take a handful of crayons, then pass the bucket, then Zoe could take a handful, then she could give it to him and he could take a handful...and that is what we call sharing."
- As the class was sitting in a share-out circle, telling who they loved the most Dominic named his pet lizard, T-Rex (who he has never even touched!) as his most beloved!
- After 3 days of school Dominic informed me, on his own, that he was ready for me to drop him off at the sidewalk and he would walk to class by himself! (I had been parking and walking him to class each day.)
- His teacher shared that he can be a perfectionist (which unfortunately comes from me) and does not want to try to write/draw something if he doesn't believe it will be just how he thinks it should be. So...we have had a several conversations around this and he took some risks in the last two days to write and draw stories that were not about cars and trucks! We talked about risk-taking and this will undoubtedly be an area to work on all year!
- I don't want to forget how proud he was of himself when he used the computer in class and played some math games. His faced beamed telling me about it.
- I overheard Dom addressing his teacher as "Teacher" instead of using her name. I explained the importance of calling her by her name, Ms. Grotsky. She later told me that he now explains to other kids that they need to call her by her name, Ms. Grotsky, not teacher! So matter-of-fact!
- I don't want to forget how in a matter of 1 week he has developed such confidence and "big boy" language...
- Each morning as we drive up to school we say a quick prayer to bless his day of learning and relationships. I don't want to forget how important it is to cover his day with God's love. This really sets up his day in a positive way, and he walks out of the van with a bounce in his step.
Snow: getting around on it
10 years ago



1 comment:
Tears to my eyes Dena!!!! I am so glad you are documenting all of this! We are going to be soooo proud of ourselves when we forget all of this precious time!....Ugh, I don't ever want to forget!
Thank you for explaining to him that his teacher's name is not "teacher" Can you come explain that to my class? I keep saying my name is not teacher, so I will not answer you unless you call me by my name....I'm almost tempted to call them "student," but I don't think they will get it:)
Post a Comment